Wednesday, April 16, 2008

New Keyboard

Bought a new keyboard a few days weeks back. Originally I was using an old one from the old family computer it was ps/2 and had no special keys or anything like that. It was mainly a case of not wanting to spend any money on it that I just the old one. Then we gave the old computer to the local opportunity shop/charity here and the keyboard went with it (which I anticipated happening sometime anyway). So I was left with buying a new one. Didn't really want to spend any money on it still, so I bought a $9.95 USB bare-bones (so to speak) one from an electronics retailer.

Well that turned out to be no-so-good. The W and D keys would hardly press and overall it just felt “odd” and lacking tactile feedback. Consequently when I went to type something, I would type the W as I would any other key and it wouldn't be sent. Obviously rather frustrating and not really tolerable. Probably “Get what you pay for”. So I took it back and got a refund.

So not wanting to make that mistake again I bought a brand-name keyboard with quality (shock horror!) and extra functionality (especially if I'm going to pay $60 for it. So I bought a Microsoft Digital Media Pro for .. well.. for $59.95.

DigitalMediaProKeyboard_ATop

Actually mine's ever so slightly different from that one: I don't have writing printed on the front of my letter keys. Which is fine for me. Unfortunately my camera is out of battery so the photo from Microsoft will have to do.. I would have liked to take a photo of the box and contents but anyway. (Which were neatly packed by the way)

Well the performance is good, fairly soft-touch, you can feel it (which is sometimes helpful) but it's quieter than cheap keyboards. The media keys work without having to install any extra software but some other buttons (like favourite folders and favourites) either don't work by default on Vista or need the software installed for the system to detect the path to run (like the Messenger button (which I don't really need anyway)). Eventually I'll install the software and probably all the buttons will work OK. For now though I'm happy with just the media keys and volume.

I'm happy with it... Now I'm just starting to need a new mouse as my current one's not-right clicking always...Another month, another blog I imagine..

No comments: