Saturday, June 19, 2010

Things I’m most looking forward to in iOS 4

Multitasking Support

I know this is one of the main items everyone keeps mentioning, but I look forward to it so I can change apps without loosing where I’m up to, if all I want to do is check something else quickly.  I do hope though that you can change the action to swap to say hold-for-1.5-seconds, as I think it’s too easy to miss the double tap on the home key and exit. (Further reading suggests that apps are never exited, will have to read up on the tent-poles again)

Device editable playlists

You, just might want to alright…. Maybe they’ll fix the Classical auto-gen playlist so it actually works on my iPod Touch….

App Folders

It’s too easy to get too many apps and loose track of which screen they’re on. Apparently, you can put them on the dock too.  Hopefully you can have more than 9 per folder though…(Further reading says 12, but if you have only 9 they don’t arrange logically)

Spellchecking

It’s a spellchecker, about time too, even Firefox had one earlier and it’s community developed…

Orientation Lock!

Apparently there’s a button in the new dock to lock the orientation.  Good grief that’ll be good! Looking at photos it insists on rotating has always been a pain.  Apparently the Photo  app now supports landscape orientation which would be good for those albums with long names….

Improved Album Viewer

Apparently, they’ve added track numbers, time display, and art to the album view which I think makes it a better player.  I like how everything seems to fit in to the style. http://gizmodo.com/5513121/the-hidden-secrets-of-iphone-os-4/gallery/15

Others Things

  • Cellular Data: On/Off – I don’t have an iPhone so I don’t know what this does, but turning things on or off is always cool.
  • Web and Wikipedia search from Spotlight – this could be handy actually.
  • Disable Location Services on an app by app basis – again, more control is better.
  • Failed SMS Notification – Wow, I’ve had this on my Nokia for many years now…
  • Birthday calendar – gathers birthdays from your contacts, more appropriate for iPhone though (My Nokia doesn’t actually have this)

1 comment:

Adam S said...

Apparently 3.1.3 will be cracked to allow changing of phone providers when iOS4 is released. This is all I'm looking forward to.