Monday, August 17, 2015

Windows 10 "Unboxing"!

I upgraded to Windows 10 - it's free and it sounded good from what I've heard. Watch the installer in pictures if that's your thing.



After release, Microsoft started popping up ads for Windows 10 inside the upgrade tool icon from before release.


Clicking that brings up this screen.


Hamburger button. Which has the same options as if you just press the arrows as below.


Reserving it basically just lets Windows download the update as soon as Microsoft lets it.


Can't argue with that.


Apparently so.


More!


OK, why not!


Good to hear!


So, I think I did the dishes or watched TV.


If you click back on the upgrade notification it gives you this status screen. Clicking "View download progress" shows the below screen, part of Windows Update.




Reasonably fast. 


It finished downloading, but didn't pop up this screen until I went back into it. I suppose it would have if I'd waited long enough. 


OK, I'll wait.


I think we're nearly ready. Better read the agreement. 


All of it.


Accept. OK. I'll wait again. Actually, it was pretty quick.


Great! I did it all in the one night so I knew how long it took and it gave me a good reason to do other chores or watch a TV show. If I wanted to though, I could have scheduled it for later on that night. Or some other night. It defaulted to 11 pm.


Just after the starting the actual upgrade. At 20:53.


Copying files. At 20:58


Yep, it did indeed restart several times. Twice I think. At 21:15


It's copying files. But also 6% through installing features and drivers. (Mildly) Interesting. 


It continues copying files and installing drivers and features. 44% total and 32% features and drivers. At 21:25


Thanks for the welcome! At 21:49 so, about an hour of copying stuff.


Nah, actually I'll set my settings manually.


I have a desktop PC so most of these don't make sense. Plus privacy. But on a tablet.. I may decide to leave them on for the benefit, and I don't think Microsoft will do anything with it, and it would be aggregated anyway. Up to you.



I left the first two on and turned the next two off. I usually send diagnostic info to Microsoft anyway so I left that on.


You can change these later anyway (you can change the others later too.)



OOh! Pretty!


Login!


The first things I noticed.



Hmm, that's neater.


Hey cool, a storage thing!


New settings!


New Start Menu! I like it. If you want, you can make it full screen like in Windows 8.


And this cool calendar! There was a calendar in the task bar since Vista, but this is fancy!


Action Centre (localised spelling!) with handy controls and notifications.


So far (two days) I'm happy with it. It's much faster, Start Menu search works properly now (again), and the Action Centre keeps the notifications organised.


No comments: