Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Windows 7: The First Blog

Ok so, Microsoft released Windows 7 Beta to the world, I thought, yeah that could be fun... But I didn't think I'd really be able to download it within the 2.5m limit. But then, they lifted the limit for two weeks, so I thought, hey cool, why not... (No quotes, because I probably didn't actually think that.)

Over the weekend I proceeded to download it. Getting there was easy enough: microsoft site / windows7, Download the Beta, or something like that. Login, give them information, and get the fancy downloading plug in. Click on the link and up comes a Java applet (remember those?) to pause and resume. I thought it was nice that you could use Firefox or other non IE browser, maybe MS is getting better at that? But it's Akami hosting so who knows. (They have an ActiveX plug in for IE of course). So I start downloading it at 8:10 pm, should be finished by about 10am the next morning, wake up around 8am - oh no it broke at 78%! So now I'm trying again in ActiveX version...

The Install

P1220738

Apologies for these first two, I was too close to the screen. So after about 3 attempts to boot of DVD (due to ASUS's drive selection method), I came to this screen. Actually I got a "press any key to boot from DVD" message, which was nice; and a "loading files for Setup" screen, which was.. well, obviously necessary.

Then it sat there for five minutes, with no drive activity. (Maybe my disc was weird from the lame ISO burner I got.) Finally I got this next screen:

P1220739

Ohh, that's pretty! Except again, it took 10 more minutes to get to the following screen:

P1220740

Sigh: what is up with my disc? I really hope it's not the installer!

P1220741

Finally the Setup appears to run at a normal speed.

P1220744

The EULA. And now they have switched to the Vista/Windows 7 style windows. Not sure why they didn't just use the new style in the first screens, but anyway....

P1220745

Selecting the drive or partition was pretty easy, and nothing broke for me. (Windows Vista still works perfectly fine)

P1220747

One restart later and it's pretty much finished. At some stage they found some basic drivers for my graphics card and ran at the native resolution. That was clever. Even when I got in W7 I had Aero enabled without installing the nVidia drivers. Nice touch. (Obviously need the nVidia drivers for games though.)

I now have Windows Live Essentials 2009 installed on Windows 7 so I'll be blogging about it further from there. Over time I'll be installing more software on W7, I'll write anything interesting - I'll try to post often from there as I discover it.

No comments: