Friday, February 6, 2009

and the point is…

image

So, with the default taskbar on Windows 7, two previews are linked with the icon on the taskbar.  Why would I want to be able to see a preview of my own display picture and status?  Ok, I suppose it could come in handy…

But I think the real reason is because the default behaviour is a strange combination of the taskbar and system tray (notification area) from Vista and prior.  Because if I close the main window, normally it would be hidden to the tray area (in Vista or XP say), however here, the one (grouped) icon represents both the taskbar icon and the tray icon.

Setting the compatibility options on the Messenger executable to Vista, sets the icon to the tray area like previously, and the previous behaviour is returned (i.e. no taskbar icon if you hide the window to the tray area)

No comments: