Friday, August 26, 2016

A Week Without 3G - Day 2

Following on from yesterday's post, I'm documenting my experiences in trying to leave 3G data off for as much as possible. I'm taking notes throughout the day on my phone of what I do instead of using 3G data or when and why I had to turn it on (e.g. need to check a timetable or map or expecting a message.)

Day 2 26/08/2016
On the bus in to work I read an article about what happens when you get shot.
But later, taking another bus I had to turn data back on to check some timetables.

On another bus, I caught up on an article about the size of Google's code repository. A filtering system for Pocket to tag articles by approximate reading time helps with choosing articles to read.

In the evening I went to a coding event, so I could use the Wi-Fi there, but didn't really need to because I was at an event.

On the way home I had some Wi-Fi at the bus stops, but not much. Fortunately I was able to keep the 3G turned off and use that time to gather my thoughts and think about the coding event.


---
End of day thoughts
So far I'm mostly finding that this is forcing me to do offline things like catching up on reading, or even simple things like sorting out niggling issues with my phone. I'll say that having access to timetables or maps is so useful it's difficult to stick to the experiment to check it. Though, with thought there are ways to fix this too - I can set up more locations in GoBrisbane offline public timetable app (but the list gets a bit tedious to scroll through then); use offline maps with Google Maps or Open Street Maps or similar (and most universities will have some sort of navigation app, probably offline); and of course the tried and true - plan such that you don't need to check the time table as much (may depend on your public transport stops and method of course).

I'm hoping, with practice I could get better at planning to not need the online timetable as much - this would be a useful skill anyway.

A water fall at JC Slaughter Falls at Mt Coot-tha in Brisbane.
With a few effects for visual interest.

No comments: